Need guidance on intermittent wireless problems
Posted on 2014-01-18
The home user has intermittent internet problems. They tell me that it often 'takes forever' to bring up websites, particularly in the morning and evening.
Today I brought my laptop over, to run tests alongside their laptop. First I checked speedtest.net, and got a very respectable figure of 32 down/7 up. They have a Comcast modem, connected to a Netgear N150 wireless router. The wireless connections shows as 'excellent' signal strength. Most of the time I've been here it has all worked fine, bringing up websites quickly. I have been playing youtube videos on both computers simultaneously, with no hesitation.
But here are the two problems I've seen while here:
1) Once the wireless indicator in the system tray got the exclamation mark, on both computers, saying there was limited access. That lasted for about a minute, and then went back to normal on both laptops.
2) Once I was trying to pull up another website on one of the laptops, and it hung for the longest time. As I was about to go find the router and plug in with my network cable, the website finally came up, so I did not get a chance to do my test with the cable.
Unfortunately I have limited time to solve this problem, and that's why I need expert advice. The possible problem sources that come to my mind are these:
1) A problem with the Comcast service.
2) A problem with the Comcast modem.
3) A problem with the Netgear router.
4) A problem with the Netgear's wireless connection.
I have a spare wireless router with me, as well as an access point. It so happens that both are Netgear. I would appreciate recommendations on what to try first. TIA