• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 507
  • Last Modified:

ColdFusion 9 suddenly stopped sending email to Exchange 2007

I recently became aware that my CF9 is no longer sending email to E2K7.  My exchange SSL cert expired and I didn't catch it for 2 days.  I renewed it and got it installed last night, so I thought email would start working again.  It has not, which makes me think it wasn't the cert expiring.  Here is what is happening/not happening:

I send an email using CF
CF mailsent log shows email sent successfully
Exchange message tracking log does not show any email activity
In CF admin, I verify mail server connection, comes back successful.
Sending & receiving in OWA works perfectly

I'm not sure what else to check.  Things have always worked fine.  CF reports sending the mail, but it never really makes it, as the Exchange server never shows any activity from the CF sent mail.

Can someone help me figure out what to check next?  Could a recent windows update have broken something?  Some new CF update I need perhaps?  I'm at a loss.
0
David Williamson
Asked:
David Williamson
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
_agx_Commented:
(No points ...I don't know the answer)

In the mean time one additional troubleshooting step you could try is to enable debugging, ie debug="yes". Perhaps you will find something unusual in the logs. If not, you'll at least have very detailed info about the actual communication between the mail servers to use for additional troubleshooting.
Best of luck!

Important notes about using debug from the docs:

debug=yes: sends debugging output to standard output. By default, if the console window is unavailable, ColdFusion sends output to cf_root\runtime\logs\coldfusion-out.log on server configurations. On J2EE configurations, with JRun, the default location is jrun_home/logs/servername-out.log. Caution: If you set this option to yes, ColdFusion writes detailed debugging information to the log, including all message contents, and can generate large logs quickly.
0
 
David WilliamsonIT DirectorAuthor Commented:
I was able to figure out the issue.  The thing that led to the solution was an event viewer log entry:

Event ID: 12014
Microsoft Exchange could not find a certificate that contains the domain name xxxx.com in the personal store on the local computer. Therefore, it is unable to support the STARTTLS SMTP verb for the connector  with a FQDN parameter of xxxx.com. If the connector's FQDN is not specified, the computer's FQDN is used. Verify the connector configuration and the installed certificates to make sure that there is a certificate with a domain name for that FQDN. If this certificate exists, run Enable-ExchangeCertificate -Services SMTP to make sure that the Microsoft Exchange Transport service has access to the certificate key.

Apparently I had two copies of the cert loaded (which I could see listed after issuing the command Get-ExchangeCertificate in the EMS).  This was preventing the SMTP connector from starting.  So, CF was sending the email successfully, it was just dying somewhere in the middle of the Exchange server.  I opened an MMC window and loaded the Certificates snap-in, then deleted the extraneous cert under the Personal folder.  Email started sending immediately after that.
0
 
_agx_Commented:
Great! Glad you solved it, and thanks for posting the resolution! .

(Don't forget to mark your comment as the answer to close out the thread).
0
 
David WilliamsonIT DirectorAuthor Commented:
I solved it myself
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Site Down Detector

Helpful to verify reports of your own downtime, or to double check a downed website you are trying to access.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now