Solved

SBS 2011 SMTP Connecter stopped working for email sending

Posted on 2014-01-23
4
420 Views
Last Modified: 2014-02-03
I have a SBS 2011 server.  Users have started getting a delivery delayed message overnight.
The are sending via SMTP.DOMAIN.COM (DOMAIN is there domain obviously).  But it is coming up saying Last Error is

"451 4.4.0 Primary Target IP address responded with "451 5.7.3 Require basic authentication.

This is odd as no setting have changed and it is setup to use basic authentication from the day it was installed.

When I try to see what is in the queue I get

"The remote pipline has been stopped.  it was running command 'get-message - ResultSize '1000'- ReturnPageInfo $true - server 'SERVERNAME.DOMAIN.local; - Sort Order '-From Address' - SearchForward $true - BookmarkObject $null - BookmarkIndex '-1' - IncludeBookmark $false"

Which I have never seen before.

I have tried moving them to a new smtp details on a completely different server which another SBS 2011 server I have is using fire with the same error occurring so I don't think its the external SMTP service.

Ideas?
0
Comment
Question by:betoni
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 1

Expert Comment

by:Qwadrat4
ID: 39802619
I think if target server asks you for basic auth, you should set your send connector with some credentials.
0
 
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Olaf De Ceuster
ID: 39802629
Did you check you smarthost settings in the sbs console?
ISP probably requires auth now?

Also run the BPA to check for most common issues.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2673284

Hope that helps,
Olaf
0
 
LVL 1

Accepted Solution

by:
betoni earned 0 total points
ID: 39802636
Apologies a little embarrassed just as a clicked submit I realised it was most likely that the IP had been listed for Spam.  So I checked on http://www.spamhaus.org/ and yes it was int eh CBL.

So I have made the following changes and marked it for delisting.

1. Added a firewall rule to only allow port 25 from the server IP address.
2. Running AV and Malware bytes on all client PCs/laptops.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

If nothing else I hope this post will be useful to others with the same problem.  - thanks to Olaf for trying to help!
0
 
LVL 1

Author Closing Comment

by:betoni
ID: 39829067
I figured the issue out.
0

Featured Post

Free NetCrunch network monitor licenses!

Only on Experts-Exchange: Sign-up for a free-trial and we'll send you your permanent license!

Here is what you get: 30 Nodes | Unlimited Sensors | No Time Restrictions | Absolutely FREE!

Act now. This offer ends July 14, 2017.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

After hours on line I found a solution which pointed to the inherited Active Directory permissions . You have to give/allow permissions to the "Exchange trusted subsystem" for the user in the Active Directory...
Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
To show how to generate a certificate request in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Servers >> Certificates…
how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.

726 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question