Solved

can`t refresh data connection in excel services

Posted on 2014-01-27
3
1,806 Views
Last Modified: 2014-02-06
hello,
i have an excel with SQL data connection.
sharepoint 2013 enterprise,
target DB in this question - SQL 2008R2

I have secure store and it is working (I have external content types using it), also when i`m creating the excel and changing the data to embedded & specifying the secure store service ID (I prefer not to use the SQL unateended or ODC file) I can refresh the data but when I open the file in excel services when I try to refresh I get the error:
"an error occured whie accesing secure store service, the following connections failed to refresh: server.dbname.table

i tried with SQL login & with AD login (I created another secure store ID and granted permissions on SQL - I checked the login and it worked directly from excel)

also i gave permissions to use the store for all domain users & even to everyone in order to debug it - still can`t refresh inside the excel services (http:////***.xlviewer.aspx.....)

didn`t saw anything special in the event viewer - any other place to look for the logs ?
any ideas ?

Thanks In Advance
0
Comment
Question by:FiremanFpG
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 44

Assisted Solution

by:Rainer Jeschor
Rainer Jeschor earned 500 total points
ID: 39813444
Hi,
normally you should find something in the SharePoint ULS logs - mainly on the server where Excel Services are running (app server):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Logs
HTH
Rainer
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
FiremanFpG earned 0 total points
ID: 39827431
after digging in the logs I found the solution.
I create the excel services unattended account -> gave permissions on it (in the secure store) for target users
created a new SQL login with the domain user I created for the acct.
and they I gave access to it in the local server group for accessing the SQL.

finally it is working either by using the secure store authentication or by using the unattended service account

Best Regards
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:FiremanFpG
ID: 39838446
the answer with the location of the logs assisted me in finding the solution
0

Featured Post

SharePoint Admin?

Enable Your Employees To Focus On The Core With Intuitive Onscreen Guidance That is With You At The Moment of Need.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction This Article briefly covers methods of calculating the NPV and IRR variants in Excel as well as the limitations in calculating and interpreting IRR results. Paraphrasing Richard Shockley, author of my favourite finance reference tex…
I thought I'd write this up for anyone who has a request to create an anonymous whistle-blower-type submission form created using SharePoint 2010 (this would probably work the same for 2013). It's not 100% fool-proof but it's as close as you can get…
Graphs within dashboards are meant to be dynamic, representing data from a period of time that will change each time the dashboard is updated with new data. Rather than update each graph to point to a different set within a static set of data, t…
This Micro Tutorial demonstrate the bugs in Microsoft Excel for Mac with Pivot Charts.

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question