SBS2011 Server-based program running EXTREMELY slow on Clients
Posted on 2014-01-27
I just set up a new network installation on the weekend that included a Server running SBS2011 and several workstations running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
Each system appears to run very fast - when running its own software.
However, the clients have one program that is based on the Server.
When they run that particular program, it runs extremely slowly.
On the Server, the program takes exactly 1 minute to load (from first click).
On the Client Workstations, the program takes 4 minutes and 20 seconds to load (on the new machines) and over 10 minutes on an older PC.
On the clients, once the program icon has been clicked on, it cannot be closed or stopped (via the task manager). The only way to stop it is to reboot the client.
I thought that it may be due to the antivirus (Symantec EndPoint Security). However, I found that the load times were not affected in any way - whether or not the antivirus was enabled.
I could really use some help, as the system should be much faster than this, yet it's performing like an old 8086.
The Server that is running SBS2011 is a new Xeon system with 16Gb of memory and 2 x SSD in RAID1. By itself, it runs really fast.
The newest workstations have high-end i7 CPUs, 16Gb RAM, SSD, etc. They run really fast when using Office or other local disk programs. However, when they run the program directly from the shared folder on the Server, the result is a computer running at a snails pace.
Thank you for your help.