Lateral migration from SBS 2008 to Windows 2012
Posted on 2014-01-29
We are prepping for replacing an SBS 2008 with a Windows 2012 server.
Is it possible to perform a later migration to get to Windows 2012 from SBS 2008? Essentially, can I follow the following workflow:
- Install Windows 2012.
- Make it a member of the SBS 2008 domain.
- Run dcpromo and make Windows 2012 an additional domain controller
- Transfer all Active Directory roles to Windows 2012.
- Run dcpromo and demote Windows 2008 from the domain.
- Uninstall all components from the Windows 2008 server and shut it down.
If this is possible, does anyone have any links to any documents?
Thanks in advance.