esx/i liscensing basics
Posted on 2014-01-30
Can I ask a few questions on esxi liscensing.
1) Is it 1 liscence per esxi server? So if you have 20 servers running esxi servers you need 20 liscences? What are the rules for test servers (i.e. not hosting any production vm's, do they need one as well)?
2) When you purchase a set of esxi liscences, what do they give you as a receipt? i.e. if an audit team wanted evidence of liscences, what could the IT team pass them?
3) Does vCenter require a liscence in itself?
4) and aside from normal OS and server app liscences, do the VM's running on the esxi hosts require any form of liscence so they can run as VM's on esxi, or not really?
5) could in theory you download esxi... install it on a server.. and run it, without having to enter any sort of liscence key? Or is the software not active/fully funcitonal until you enter a liscence key, thus you cant really cut any corners if you want the product to work? hence not as much risk associated with the liscensing, as theres no way they could get it wrong.