Dear All,
I have tried alot and finally i manged to create cname record in dns to refere to website in IIS but there is somthing i could not solve it:

the forwad zone name is x.y.z
my domin is : mydomianh
CNAME record created in mydomain for the web url "A"
now the web url is accessed with A.mydomain.x.y.Z which is very long.

how i can access the web site A with mydomain.X.Y.Z/A
Who is Participating?
piwowarcConnect With a Mentor Commented:

Cname is simply a shortcut like you have to apps on your desktop.

By making

Friendly-name Cname Long-unfriendly-name

You just make new record that tells DNS client to ask once more.

In IIs you should have a name of actual website hosted (the unfriendly) as client will come to ask for it as it got redirected by Cname.
Patrick BogersDatacenter platform engineer LindowsCommented:
What do you want to achieve? mydomain.X.Y.Z/A  seems very long to me too.

Why you have a forward zone like x.y.z ?  just y.z seems enough where you can create a simple a record called i.e. www which point to the ip address of your webserver.

In that case you can browse to www.y.z and see the website (once this address is also bound to the website in IIS.
mostabdoAuthor Commented:
Thank you all but i need to add "/" to the URL as actually i will have /A and /B and so on but i couldnt fine how to add this "/"
Improved Protection from Phishing Attacks

WatchGuard DNSWatch reduces malware infections by detecting and blocking malicious DNS requests, improving your ability to protect employees from phishing attacks. Learn more about our newest service included in Total Security Suite today!

Milind KoyandeConnect With a Mentor Commented:
If you want to add DNS like:


To point something or CNAME to some IP Or domain.

Its not possible (As per my knowledge).

What you are refering is a web redirect. Cname only works with FQDN (fully qualified domain name) to FQDN.

Milind KoyandeCommented:

Yea Piwowarc is right you will have to create a web redirect (which you can do from webserver).
Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.