Hey Guys -
I'm in the market to replace 1-2 drives in my home "server." My system specs are at the end of this post. Two of my drives are currently used for OS and app installs while the rest is storage.
Currently, the OS drive is an Mushkin MKNSSDAT60GB-DX (60gb SSD) which when I bought it was the fastest and biggest mSata drive on the market. The app install drive is a Seagate Momentus XT ST500LX003 (500gb hybrid.) The hybrid drive is gaining bad sectors quickly so needs to be replaced. I'm considering replacing the OS one, too, as it's taking up a valuable Sata port (using mSata takes disables one of the Sata addresses), hardly any storage, and had a lot of use.
I must replace the 500gb hybrid, but am considering replacing both drives with a PCI-Express-based OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 as it seems to have the best performance available. However, I don't know if it would work in my system. Also, I can really only afford the refurb (link)
and don't know if it's a wise choice.
I have a few other considerations, too. Below is what I'm thinking. Do you think any of these would be best or have any other idea?
If I Replace both drives, Which Do You Think Is Best Choice?
1. A refurbished OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 to run OS and installed apps (not many which are hardcore on resources)
2. Purchasing a pair of SSDs and running them in RAID (hardware or software RAID?) to run both OS and installed apps
3. Purchasing pair of SSDs like above, but not in RAID and dedicating one to OS and one to installed apps
- Intel i7 3770k Quad Core
- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UDH5
- 16GB RAM
- ATI/AMD HD 7850 2GB Video Card
- x8 drives
- 60gb msata SSD (OS)
- 500gb hybrid drive (App Installs
- x6 drives ~18TB combined space
- Windows 7 x64
- File share / hosting media files
- Server for Plex, XBMC, few other python apps
- Gaming every now and then
Any other suggestions for drive replacements are appreciated -