I have a user who is trying to transfer data from a Windows7 laptop to his Win 8.1 desktop. When the transfer is initiated from the win8 PC, the transfer speeds are appalling - 50mb taking over 30mins to transfer. When the same transfer is initiated from the win7 laptop (same data etc), it completes in seconds.
I have tried my win8 laptop in the same network port as the PC, and the transfer speeds are fine - so this should rule out a general network issue.
I have also disabled "large send offload" on the Win8 PC. This improved transfer speeds slightly, but not significantly.
Both devices are connected via Gb connections.