Having problem connecting to some, not all, secure web pages (XP)
Posted on 2014-02-07
XP SP3, home network, problem with some secure websites. Had this problem a month or so ago. Went away after resetting/repowering the router. It is possible VZ did something on their end, however that action is not in their notes. The behavior has now returned, affecting only 1 account instead of 2.
No matter what browser I use (chrome,firefox, safari, IE8/xp, or which machine (3), I experience the same problem accessing my TD personal checking account. This problem used to affect several secure web pages, such as USAA, but now the behavior only affects TD Bank personal account. I can log into my TD business account (or any non-secure web page and navigate no problem, but when I enter via my TD personal account (and before that USAA as well), I encounter problems. Sometimes I can get past log in, if I am careful to clear cache at each step, but when I get into the account summary, I cannot get into the details (hyperlink does not work). I checked USAA as a test, to see if the behavior had returned, it had not, so it now only affects TD. Other behaviours include slow loading on the home pages that have the log in/user id compared to those that do not, and I find myself constantly clearing the cache to have any sort of success, even if partial.
Also-I not only reset router, power cycled the router, I also replaced the router when doing this (grapping fresh ISP) did not resolve the issue like the last time.
Also-last time/I partly got around same problem with USAA by using there more streamlined Mobile app which I could access from my desktop.
TD Bank and Verizon do not have any answer.