Currently running OSX 10.6.8 with no problems. Tried to install Montain Lion. The Install program will do initial file install and restart. Computer will stall after restart at grey screen with Apple logo and turning gear.
(Note: Hitachi 1TB drive is 2 months old).
1. Reset PRAM and SMC. Reinstall. Fail
2. Disk Uiltity - Repair Disk (no errors) / Fix Permisssions. Reinstall Fail
3. Clean install - Reformat Disk. Install Snow Leopard from Disk and updated to 10.6.8. Reinstall. Fail.
4. Erase disk with Zero Our Data and install Fail
5. Mountain Lion Intsall placed on USB Drive. Tried to boot from USB Drive and from Mountain Lion installed on external drive. Fail.
The symptoms are always the same. Mountain Lion will stall when trying to restart the install or boot from external drive (and Lion for that matter). When startup was set to vebose mode. The process would stop at, and repeat the line
"Firewire (OHC1) Lucent ID 5901 Builtin No valid SelfID for more than 3min after bus reset"
A check of System Profile > Firewire reads
“Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.”
6. In desperation I rang Apple Support who were not able to help but recommended I get a hardware diagnostic done (see attached).
The unit was taken to local Apple Centre for haodware diagnostics. This reported no errors.