Hey All -
I'm doing an OS re-install of Windows 8.1 this afternoon and wanted to post a quick question about the paging file since research turned up multiple responses.
First, here's my laptop's specs:
- Dell Latitude E6420
- Windows 8.1 x64
- x1 128gb SSD (OCZ Vertex 4) in primary drive slot
- x1 320gb 5400RPM HDD (ST9320325As) in module bay which I purchased to replace DVD Drive
- 16gb RAM (DDR3-1333 DDR3)
(Even though the max specs for the E6420 said the laptop supported a max of 8gb, i found a post that it actually supported 16gb. Sure enough, I installed it a few months back and 16gb seems to have worked great!)
My current config (prior to os re-install) was having a page file on the HDD and have it set to 32gb (which I think is honestly too high so don't know what I was thinking.) AIDA64 showed that at the time I ran it, 3301mb of the paging file was currently being used - why, i don't know.
I'm upgrading the 320 HDD in the near future. Don't know if possible with my laptop, but perhaps I may put another Vector 4 in and run them in RAID!
So... Here are my questions?
1. Should I put the Page file on the SSD or HDD?
2. Set statically or just let Windows manage?
3. If answered SSD to #1, would answer change if I got faster HDD soon?