I followed many of the great suggestions in this POST
, and made a DIY high voltage power supply. Unfortunately, it's several thousand volts low for what I need it for (currently producing perhaps 8,000V to 10,000V I would guess). My project, however, requires 12,000V to 15,000V. The following points describe the current setup (keep in mind I will only be using this for a few seconds at a time):
1. 120 Volts AC input (through a common lamp cord) ...connects to:
2. 600 Watt dimmer switch ...connects to:
3. an automotive ignition coil (brand new) ...connects to:
4. a capacitor with rating of 0.75uF and 2100V ...connects to:
5. a simple 16 gauge wire, completing the circuit back to the lamp wire (not a hard connection...I just move the two wires close to each other just long enough to get a spark).