Solved

Exchange Server 2013 Autodiscover not working

Posted on 2014-02-13
4
2,203 Views
Last Modified: 2014-02-13
Hi,

I just setup an Exchange Server 2013.  I have OWA working and the SSL cert working fine.  I can access and login at https://mail.mydomain.com.  I've setup the autodiscover at my domain registrar.  I can ping autodiscover.mydomain.com and the IP to my server responds. I've looked all around the Internet and it seems like most people have DNS problems.  I've run Microsoft's Remote Connectivity Analyzer and of course it fails.  I get the error: The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.  Can you please help me troubleshoot this?  It seems like maybe I'm just overlooking something simple.  Thanks!
0
Comment
Question by:kendalltech
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 58

Accepted Solution

by:
Cliff Galiher earned 500 total points
ID: 39858178
Autodiscover can use multiple different methods to attempt a connection. The SRV record is the LAST method it tries, so the remote connectivity analyzer would have plenty of errors, not just one.

If you are creating a DNS record for Autodiscover.domain.com then that won't use the SRV method so you are looking at the wrong batch of errors. Random speculation on my part has me guessing that your SSL cert does not have that domain name as an subject name so the SSL connection is failing.

If you want to use that method, you must buy a UCC/SAN cert and include ALL public names that reference that IP. including autodiscover.domain.com
0
 
LVL 2

Author Comment

by:kendalltech
ID: 39858189
Hi Cliff.  Thanks for your response.  You're correct.  It failed miserably.  The SRV method was the last of many errors.  Here are the errors:
Attempting the Autodiscover and Exchange ActiveSync test (if requested).
       Testing of Autodiscover for Exchange ActiveSync failed.
       
      Additional Details
       
      Test Steps
       
      Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
       The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.
       
      Additional Details
       
      Test Steps
       
      Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://mydomain.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
       Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
       
      Additional Details
       
      Test Steps
      Attempting to test potential Autodiscover URL https://autodiscover.mydomain.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml
       Testing of this potential Autodiscover URL failed.
       
      Additional Details
       
      Test Steps
      Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the HTTP redirect method.
       The attempt to contact Autodiscover using the HTTP Redirect method failed.
       
      Additional Details
       
      Test Steps
      Attempting to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
       The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer failed to contact the Autodiscover service using the DNS SRV redirect method.
       
      Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.mydomain.com in DNS.
       The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.

The original SSL that was created by another tech was for mail.mydomain.com and then I added another domain to the SSL autodiscover.mydomain.com, thinking that this would help.  How can I fix this with the SSL?  Thanks!
0
 
LVL 58

Expert Comment

by:Cliff Galiher
ID: 39858200
Yeah, all those "additional details" sections? Read them. Look for specific failures that you ARENT expecting. Or hire a local consultant. It is impossible to go over every possible configuration and option in a forum like EE. Setting up Autodiscover does have some basic prerequisite knowledge of exchange and PKI.
0
 
LVL 2

Author Closing Comment

by:kendalltech
ID: 39858301
Well, it turns out it wasn't SSL.  I don't know what it was exactly but we rebooted the server and everything worked out fine.  Thanks for the info Cliff!
0

Featured Post

Comparison of Amazon Drive, Google Drive, OneDrive

What is Best for Backup: Amazon Drive, Google Drive or MS OneDrive? In this free whitepaper we look at their performance, pricing, and platform availability to help you decide which cloud drive is right for your situation. Download and read the results of our testing for free!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Background Information Recently I have fixed file server permission issues for one of my client. The client has 1800 users and one Windows Server 2008 R2 domain joined file server with 12 TB of data, 250+ shared folders and the folder structure i…
This article lists the top 5 free OST to PST Converter Tools. These tools save a lot of time for users when they want to convert OST to PST after their exchange server is no longer available or some other critical issue with exchange server or impor…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to join and promote the first Windows Server 2012 domain controller into an Active Directory environment running on Windows Server 2008. Determine the location of the FSMO roles by lo…
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question