Can't access network shares over wireless on Windows 8.1
Posted on 2014-02-15
Here's the situation - Windows 8.1 laptop on a home wireless network containing a NAS device, a Windows 8.1 desktop, a couple of network-connected Blu-ray players and a printer. Up until a couple of days ago I was able to log on to the wireless network on my laptop and access the shares on the NAS device and desktop but its no longer working. I can't access the shares at all, can't ping them either. The Windows 8.1 desktop has no issues accessing the shares on the NAS. No other issues on the wireless network - I can browse the web fine and print to the printer. I can access everything if I connect directly to the home LAN using a patch cable. The only thing that I've changed on the laptop in the last few days is to start using SkyDrive. What I've done so far:
1. Deleted the wireless network (had to dig around to find out how to do that in Win 8.1 - had to use the command line) and re-connected to it.
2. Double and triple checked all network sharing settings - have tried turning on and back off - no change.
3. Checked the wireless adapter driver - its up to date.
4. As a last resort tried System Restore but it keeps crashing so that's not an option.
5. Tried logging in as a local user on the laptop (rather than my work domain) - still not working.
6. Disabled McAfee anti-virus and tested - not working.
Any ideas for what might be causing this? I can't see how activating SkyDrive would affect wireless network shares but anything is possible! Thanks!