Solved

Webfont not loading only in IE11, Windows 8.1 version

Posted on 2014-02-18
2
9,205 Views
Last Modified: 2016-10-20
Hello, I have a problem with this website and I'm at a total loss:

http://www.cirworld.eu

Aside from some quirks, it's working fine on all browsers, except IE11 on W8.1.

The problem is with webfonts. They just won't load with that browser/OS combination.

The site is built with Wordpress and a theme I heavily modified.

The css for the webfonts was originally:

@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:400,300italic,300,400italic,600,600italic,700,700italic,800,800italic);
font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Philosopher:400,400italic,700,700italic);
font-family: 'Philosopher', sans-serif;

Open in new window


at the beginning of the style.css file.

I changed this to:

@font-face {
		font-family: 'Philosopher';
		src: url('fonts/gabriola.eot');
		src: url('fonts/gabriola.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),
				 url('fonts/gabriola.woff') format('woff'),
				 url('fonts/gabriola.ttf') format('truetype'),
				 url('fonts/gabriola.svg#gabriola') format('svg');
		font-weight: normal;
		font-style: normal;
		}

Open in new window


I wanted to use this gabriola font I bought but I kept the name Philosopher to avoid changing too many lines of code.

Anyway, my webfont doesn't show up in IE11/W8.1.

Google fonts didn't show up either (not even in IE11/W7, actually), until I added this to the header of the theme:

<link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Open in new window


I hope someone can help me because I don't know how I may add this web font in a way that IE11/W8.1 recognizes it too...
0
Comment
Question by:Daniele Brunengo
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
2 Comments
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Daniele Brunengo earned 0 total points
ID: 39868260
Solved it. Looks like IE11 is the ONLY browser needing the font's declared name to match the font's name as stored into the font itself, or something. Anyway, changing everything from Philosopher to Gabriola fixed it.
0
 

Expert Comment

by:Robert Beach
ID: 41852980
Thanks! This also fixed the same problem in other IE versions.
0

Featured Post

To Patch or not to Patch? That is the question!

Don't get caught out like thousands of others around the world in the recent Ransomware Fiasco!
Discuss..
- Why it's not a good idea to wait before Patching
- Sensible approaches to Patching discussed
- Add your feedback, comments and suggestions

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Do you come here a lot? Are you lazy like me and don't want to go through the "trouble" of having to click your Dock's Safari icon and then having to click your Experts Exchange Favorites bookmark to get here? Well then this article is for you.
If you are a web developer, you would be aware of the <iframe> tag in HTML. The <iframe> stands for inline frame and is used to embed another document within the current HTML document. The embedded document could be even another website.
The purpose of this video is to demonstrate how to manually back up a WordPress Database. This will be demonstrated using a Windows 8 PC. The Host used will be IPage.com Log into your Hosting account. IPage will be used for demonstration : Locat…
The purpose of this video is to demonstrate how to set up the permalinks on a WordPress Website. This will be demonstrated using a Windows 8 PC. Go to your WordPress login page. This will look like the following: mywebsite.com/wp-login.php : Go t…

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question