?
Solved

Candle Wax on Laptop

Posted on 2014-02-21
4
Medium Priority
?
1,777 Views
Last Modified: 2014-02-21
I have someone who has knocked over a scentsy candle onto the keyboard of her laptop. She got all the wax off she could then brought it to me. The keyboard will need to be replaced for sure but the LCD screen in very dim. I'm unsure if the wax on the board or somewhere else is causing this or not but my question is, how would you experts recomend me getting the remaining hard was off of everything? Keep in mind everything is working fine except some keys on the keyboard are dead & the LCD screen is very very dim. I've not tore into it yet to look at the motherboard. I'm thinking maybe take a hair dryer to it to melt what I can to get wipe it off but I don't want to short the board out either....This computer has Windows 7 installed on it. Thanks for any suggestions.
0
Comment
Question by:wantabe2
4 Comments
 
LVL 17

Accepted Solution

by:
Anthony Russo earned 500 total points
ID: 39876994
If you keep the laptop off while using the hairdryer then you would avoid most chance of shorting it out. Things short out when on generally. It's not 100%, but your best option if going the hair dryer route.

Did any wax get onto the display and possibly seep in there?
0
 
LVL 30

Assisted Solution

by:Randy Downs
Randy Downs earned 500 total points
ID: 39877010
Maybe this will help. I would be wary of using a hair dryer or cold like putting it in a freezer. I would unplug & remove the battery before doing any of these.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110619210234AAtem27

Take a plastic credit card and scrape it off usin the corner of the card. Run hot water over a paper towel, ring it out, and rub the wax out to heat up the wax too. If there is a waxy feeling still then take your thumb and wipe the oily residue or take a wet paper towel.
0
 
LVL 4

Assisted Solution

by:Jeffery Hayes
Jeffery Hayes earned 500 total points
ID: 39877022
What part of the system is the rest of the Wax on external or internal?

If it's external I'd use either a Flood Lamp or a Hair Dryer to help melt it then use a dry sponge/ towel and blot it to help get the Wax off. Also if it's external a lot of the times Wax can easily be scrapped off of Plastic.

If it's internal you can try to use a Hair Dryer and a Desoldering Vaccum to suck up the wax. Along with after wards I'd get some PC Board cleaner and spray on the area to try and help better clean it.

http://www.amazon.com/Desoldering-Vacuum-Solder-Sucker-Removal/dp/B003FHYL7I 

Regarding the LCD screen being very Dim how dim like do you have to hold a flashlight to see the text and it's virtually black?

There is the off chance that the Wax and cleaning caused the Brightness and Contrast setting to be adjusted along with it's possible that the Wax go under the Ribbon Cable for the LCD.

If you can take the thing apart then check the cable and if it's loose try to reseat it and you can add Hot Glue to the Ribbon Cable to get it to stay in place as often these become loose and cause the LCD to become very dim.
0
 
LVL 88

Assisted Solution

by:rindi
rindi earned 500 total points
ID: 39877224
Wax doesn't conduct electricity, so for the circuitry it shouldn't have any negative effects. In some ways it could even be considered as a protective cover!

But of course it can cause the keys of the keyboard to stick together, or contacts to be covered. Using a hairdryer shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't get too hot and burn anything on the board.

The cause for the dim display could be that one of the keys used to dim the display is stuck from the wax and always dims it.
0

Featured Post

Upgrade your Question Security!

Add Premium security features to your question to ensure its privacy or anonymity. Learn more about your ability to control Question Security today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

By default the complete memory dump option is disabled in windows . If we want to enable the complete memory dump for a diagnostic purpose, we have a solution for it. here we are using the registry method to enable this.
The Windows functions GetTickCount and timeGetTime retrieve the number of milliseconds since the system was started. However, the value is stored in a DWORD, which means that it wraps around to zero every 49.7 days. This article shows how to solve t…
The Task Scheduler is a powerful tool that is built into Windows. It allows you to schedule tasks (actions) on a recurring basis, such as hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, at log on, at startup, on idle, etc. This video Micro Tutorial is a brief intro…
If you’ve ever visited a web page and noticed a cool font that you really liked the look of, but couldn’t figure out which font it was so that you could use it for your own work, then this video is for you! In this Micro Tutorial, you'll learn yo…
Suggested Courses

839 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question