I support an SBS 2008 Fujitsu TX100 S2 server with 2 x 500GB SATA hard drives which came already hardware mirrored.
The RAID system sometimes takes a few attempts to start up saying that it can't find any drives. A call to Fujitsu only revealed their surprise that the SATA drives they supplied in their server had survived for nearly fives years.
So rather than waiting for a problem to happen and call them out, I want to replace the two drives and set them up as mirrored under Windows Disk Management.
The way I would go about it is to:
1. Disconnect one of the existing RAID 1 drives.
2. Replace with new drive and allow to rebuild.
3. Break the "hardware" RAID 1 in the RAID BIOS.
4. Replace the second old drive and reboot the system.
5. Add Mirror with Disk Management.
I am used to replacing drives with SCSI cards and onboard RAID gives me visions of being left with unreadable drives when the RAID is broken.
Am I doing this correctly?