Home network setup
Posted on 2014-02-22
So this is my first attempt at creating a home network. Its designed for two purposes -
1. To allow me to experiment and learn new things by having a VLAN segmentation
2. To allow me to still use day-to-day internet on things like Mobile devices, Xbox etc,
So far I have the following setup:
1. Cisco 2970 switch (24 port)
2. HP Microserver- I'll be using VMWare ESXi on this so that I can run multiple servers/OSs when necessary
3. Virgin Media SuperHub - I will most probably be setting this to Modem mode as I want DHCP from my own server instead of the router.
My plan is to get another router which allows VLANS and the create 2 VLANS. One for the stuff I'm testing and the other for Xbox etc as I doubt it will work in my current setup under a domain (I may be wrong in this assumption).
I am thinking of getting a PIX firewall router, and then creating the VLANS on that. If there are better devices, then please list them.
my question is:
How simple would it then be to define a set of ports of on the Cisco switch and bind that to the VLAN created on the router. I want to use 2 ports of whichever router I buy so that I can have straight internet and also domain based internet...
Any other thoughts and ideas would be appreciated too.