?
Solved

Change SCL Number - Exchange 2010 SP3

Posted on 2014-02-24
7
Medium Priority
?
826 Views
Last Modified: 2014-02-26
We are running SBS 2011 and are on Exchange 2010 SP3.  There are some internal emails going into the Junk folder in users Outlook 2010.  They show an SCL number of 9. The first is .wav files being forwarded from our Mitel 5000 phone system which is set up to relay off the Exchange server.  The second, also a relay, is from a program on our HyperV 2008 R2 standalone box.  Both are using internal email addresses, so they should be safe!  We've done the usual - not Junk in Outlook, but because of the SCL rating, that doesn't apply.  So, how does one change an SCL in Exchange when the email address is already in the accounts list?  

Thanks
0
Comment
Question by:normajm400
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 3
7 Comments
 
LVL 63

Accepted Solution

by:
Simon Butler (Sembee) earned 2000 total points
ID: 39882855
The fact that they are using internal email addresses means nothing. That is what spammers do. The only way that an email would get through the spam filter without filtering is if it originated on Exchange, which in this case it does not.

Therefore you have two options.

1. Use a transport rule to assign emails from those two sources as SCL -1.

2. Configure a special receive connector for those services, which cannot be seen from the internet, then configure them with the extended right "ms-exch-bypass-anti-spam"

Get-ReceiveConnector "Internal Servers" | Add-ADPermission -User "NT Authority\Anonymous Logon" -AccessRights ExtendedRight -ExtendedRights ms-exch-bypass-anti-spam

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:normajm400
ID: 39883036
Thank you Simon for the quick reply.  Because we had the receive connectors set up for the two servers in order to relay, I used option 2.  Will give it an hour or so for the Exchange server to update, then give it a test.  Will post results...
0
 
LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:Simon Butler (Sembee)
ID: 39883053
Or just restart the transport service, the change is immediate then.

Simon.
0
Get real performance insights from real users

Key features:
- Total Pages Views and Load times
- Top Pages Viewed and Load Times
- Real Time Site Page Build Performance
- Users’ Browser and Platform Performance
- Geographic User Breakdown
- And more

 

Author Comment

by:normajm400
ID: 39883537
Restarted the transport service.  Unfortunately Option #2 didn't work.  Still getting SCL 9 on the messages.  Here's a copy of the email header:

Received: from MitelServer.xxxx.local (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) by
ExchServer.xxxx.local (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) with Microsoft SMTP Server
(TLS) id 14.3.123.3; Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:15:57 -0600
Received: from root by Mitel5000.xxxxx.local with local (Exim 4.77)
                (envelope-from <service@mycompany.com>)             id 1WI10L-0003jl-9k         for
mgolbach@mycompany.com; Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:15:54 -0600
From: <service@mycompany.com>
To: <mgolbach@mycompany.com>
Reply-To: <mitelvm@mycompany.com>
Subject: [0:12] Message for MB 582 from a caller at (715) 610-1111
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="NewPart"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <E1WI10L-0003jl-9k@MitelServer.xxx.local>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:15:53 -0600
Return-Path: service@mycompany.com
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthSource: ExchServer.xxxx.local
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthAs: Internal
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-AuthMechanism: 10
X-AntiMalwareExchange-CommtouchRefID: str=0001.0A020205.530B58DD.0255,ss=3,sh,re=0.000,fgs=0
X-MS-Exchange-Organization-SCL: 9
0
 
LVL 63

Expert Comment

by:Simon Butler (Sembee)
ID: 39883587
Are you sure it is going through the right connector?
As that should have worked.

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:normajm400
ID: 39883646
The ip address listed on the connector matches the IP address of the "Received from: MitelServer".  Not sure where else to look...
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:normajm400
ID: 39889682
Tried option 1 - create a transport rule.  That took care of it.  Those emails are now flowing into the users' inboxes.

Thank you!
0

Featured Post

Get real performance insights from real users

Key features:
- Total Pages Views and Load times
- Top Pages Viewed and Load Times
- Real Time Site Page Build Performance
- Users’ Browser and Platform Performance
- Geographic User Breakdown
- And more

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

How to resolve IMCEAEX NDRs in Exchange or Exchange Online related to invalid X500 addresses.
A couple of months ago we ran into an issue that necessitated re-creating our Edge Subscriptions. However, when we attempted to execute the command: New-EdgeSubscription -filename C:\NewEdgeSub_01.xml we received an error indicating that the LDAP se…
To show how to create a transport rule in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Rules tab.:  To cr…
This Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorial shows how to tell Microsoft Office that a word is NOT spelled correctly. Microsoft Office has a built-in, main dictionary that is shared by Office apps, including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word. When …
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month13 days, 10 hours left to enroll

801 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question