Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 231
  • Last Modified:

Why is my cfhttp get for xml file creating strange encryption like characters?

The XML feed looks great, but when I do a simple http call to get the data, it is "encrypting" it or doing something odd.  Anyone know what causes this and what to do to fix it?

Image of xml feed

This here is what I am doing:

<cfset feedURL="http://api.walmartlabs.com/v1/feeds/items?apiKey=xxx&categoryId=xxx&format=xml">
<cfhttp method="get" url="#feedURL#" result="feedItems"></cfhttp>
<cfdump var="#feedItems#">

Open in new window


I am using CF10
0
theideabulb
Asked:
theideabulb
  • 2
  • 2
1 Solution
 
_agx_Commented:
Looks like it might just be binary.  What are the rest of the http headers from the dump? Also, what does their API say about format? (Is there a public link?)

In the mean time, if you have confirmed it's binary ie IsBinary(), try converting it to a string:

         <cfset feedAsString = charsetEncode(feedItems, "UTF-8")>
0
 
theideabulbAuthor Commented:
This here was the answer..
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2974197/cfhttp-encoding-problem

Looks like it was being gzipped twice.  Once I followed these instructions, it works fine.
0
 
_agx_Commented:
Oh, without the cfhttp headers I didn't realize it was gzipped, not just binary. Glad you solved it!
0
 
theideabulbAuthor Commented:
I found the answer that worked for my issue.
0

Featured Post

Ask an Anonymous Question!

Don't feel intimidated by what you don't know. Ask your question anonymously. It's easy! Learn more and upgrade.

  • 2
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now