Solved

SSRS Field Added in Stored Procedure not showing in Report Designer

Posted on 2014-02-26
9
4,208 Views
Last Modified: 2014-03-04
I create a report based on a stored procedure in SSRS. After creating the report, we needed to add a new field, so I altered the stored procedure and checked it was working fine which it is.
I then went into SSRS and refreshed the fields in the dataset. It shows the new field in the dataset. However, when I try to add the field in Report Designer, it does not show up. I tried deleting the dataset and then adding a new one, but it still is not available in Report Designer. If I execute the procedure in the dataset it does show all the results including the new field.
What do I need to do to get the field to be available in Report Desiger?
0
Comment
Question by:Karl_mark
  • 5
  • 3
9 Comments
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:ValentinoV
ID: 39888477
What do you mean with Report Designer?  Report Builder or Visual Studio/Business Intelligence Development Studio?

Edit: okay, probably BIDS, sorry for this silly question... (I always use BIDS as tool name)
0
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:ValentinoV
ID: 39888484
What happens if you create a new report and use the SP in there?  Does that work fine?
0
 

Author Comment

by:Karl_mark
ID: 39888532
It works fine if I create a new report; it's updating existing ones where there is a problem.

PS, yes, it's BIDS. I should have specified!
0
Webinar: Aligning, Automating, Winning

Join Dan Russo, Senior Manager of Operations Intelligence, for an in-depth discussion on how Dealertrack, leading provider of integrated digital solutions for the automotive industry, transformed their DevOps processes to increase collaboration and move with greater velocity.

 
LVL 65

Expert Comment

by:Jim Horn
ID: 39888648
<wild guesses>
Make sure your tablix/whatever is pointing to the correct dataset.
Make sure the column name does not have any spaces or punctuation marks other than underscore ( _ ), which would force you to surround it with square brackets [ ] when referring to it, and perhaps sort it in the bottom of the combo box that selects columns.

Once the dataset recognizes the new column it *should* be automatically available for use.
0
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:ValentinoV
ID: 39888667
but it still is not available in Report Designer.

Do you not see it when you click the + icon next to the dataset name in the Report Data window, is that an accurate description of your issue?
0
 

Author Comment

by:Karl_mark
ID: 39888687
Actually, just solved it. I had to refresh the fields in the dataset under Solution Explorer as well as in Report Data. One would think that doing it in one would also do it in the other, but this is not the case it would seem!
0
 
LVL 37

Accepted Solution

by:
ValentinoV earned 500 total points
ID: 39888761
In Solution Explorer?  Ow, are you using a Shared Dataset?  Well yes, that would indeed be needed then...
0
 

Author Comment

by:Karl_mark
ID: 39888796
It would seem so! Thanks for your assistance anyway; sometimes just having a conversation prompts one to find the solution!
0
 
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:ValentinoV
ID: 39888809
Well, sure...  Next time though don't forget to mention critical details like that, it will help both us and you to come to a working solution a bit faster :)
0

Featured Post

DevOps Toolchain Recommendations

Read this Gartner Research Note and discover how your IT organization can automate and optimize DevOps processes using a toolchain architecture.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Written by Valentino Vranken. A while ago I wrote an article called Chart Optimization Tips (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/Microsoft/Development/MS-SQL-Server/MS-SQL_Reporting/Chart-Optimization-Tips.html).  This article explained how …
Time Corrections for Reports Working with a report, we made some interesting discoveries about the time corrections/updates We are using the following Parameters: Starting Entered Date (Date) formatted as Data type: "Date/Time" Ending Entered …
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below. https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/03_w12/1151775/Permutations.txt https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/201…

713 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question