I had a server with a static IP address, not a part of the DHCP scope. We were having some issues with one of the applications on the server and the owner of the app suggested that the server be reformatted and reinstalled. After reformatting the server and giving it a new IP address, someone decided to ping the old IP address of the now reformatted server and the IP pinged successfully to the device name the same as the server.
They immediately said the server issue was due to an ip address conflict. On the surface that is what it looks like, but here is the clincher, there is no device connected to this IP anywhere.
To prove my point, I put the problem IP address into my laptop as a static IP and when I did an ipconfig, it showed up as my IP address. When I had a co-worker ping the IP with the -a the device name was my computer. My computer moved right along with this problem IP. I changed my computer back to DHCP and picked up a new IP address. Had my co-worker do another ping to the problem IP and it pinged with my device name.
I am thinking there is something weird going on in my router or arp tables. I need to get this resolved for my sanity sake. Some powers at be want to blame this whole thing on an IP address, when I know it was not.