?
Solved

InstallShield 2009 Premier: Prerequisites Box Not Filtering Content

Posted on 2014-02-28
6
Medium Priority
?
26 Views
Last Modified: 2015-06-23
I have created a couple of InstallShield packages with the 2009 Premier product. These packages include 15 prerequisite items that should be displayed conditionally based on various criteria.

The problem I'm having is that occasionally the Pre-Req dialog is showing all the items instead of only the items that pertain to the target install destination.

Any ideas what causes this and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks,

Rick
0
Comment
Question by:sadlermd
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:jmcmunn
ID: 39897991
How are you setting the conditions?  release flags?  registry settings?  existence of files?
0
 

Author Comment

by:sadlermd
ID: 39898026
I use a lot of the pre-built prerequisites like installing the .NET Framework or not.

For the prereqs i create, i will look for the existence of files on the target.

This problem does not happen with any consistency - I have only seen it once on my development machine and that was several years ago. When i saw it, I didn't have any idea what was going on so i just restarted the installation and the problem went away.

The main point is when the problem happens, all prereqs are displayed - the InstallShield prereqs as well as those created by me.

Today I just tried "setup.exe /debuglog"outputfile"" to see what is happening in the prerequisite handler - its interesting that the setup copies all the prereqs into the User Folder then it starts performing the rules testing.

However, since I can't recreate the problem, next week i will try this on the machine of a customer who is having the problem and see what is in the log.
0
 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:jmcmunn
ID: 39898028
Great, a debug log or verbose log of the install would help.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
sadlermd earned 0 total points
ID: 39900804
Got feedback from customer:

Over the weekend they disabled UAC, tried the installer, and everything worked perfectly...


Rick
0
 
LVL 35

Expert Comment

by:Seth Simmons
ID: 40845955
This question has been classified as abandoned and is closed as part of the Cleanup Program. See the recommendation for more details.
0

Featured Post

NFR key for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365

Veeam is happy to provide a free NFR license (for 1 year, up to 10 users). This license allows for the non‑production use of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 in your home lab without any feature limitations.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Redirected folders in a windows domain can be quite useful for a number of reasons, one of them being that with redirected application data, you can give users more seamless experience when logging into different workstations.  For example, if a use…
The recent Microsoft changes on update philosophy for Windows pre-10 and their impact on existing WSUS implementations.
This tutorial will give a short introduction and overview of Backup Exec 2012 and how to navigate and perform basic functions. Click on the Backup Exec button in the upper left corner. From here, are global settings for the application such as conne…
This tutorial will walk an individual through locating and launching the BEUtility application to properly change the service account username and\or password in situation where it may be necessary or where the password has been inadvertently change…
Suggested Courses

762 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question