SQL2005 migration to SQL2008 from SBS2003 to Server 2012 std
Hi Learned ones,
I need to migrate an existing SQL2005 express database from sbs2003R2 premium to the replacement environment on a Server 2012 std box.
The existing environment is of course 32bit and Server 2012 std is 64bit.
The client runs through 32bit or 64bit ODBC as required according to OS.
I don't want to make too bigger hop forward on the SQL side so have opted for SQL2008 (ie one major revision forward) There is some merge replication involved to allow a user to take a snapshot away on a laptop and make changes which are merged when he returns. The data is not huge.
So my questions are:
1. Is SQL2008 express supported on Server 2012 std
2. Should I install 32bit SQL2008 Express or is 64bit OK for a straight forward migration.
3. Can anyone point me to a good step by step as I understand there are many detailed steps that need performing during the migration of the legacy database files to the new environment.
4. What restrictions are there with regard to server and client side ODBC architecture (32/64bit if any)
5. Are there any advantages at this stage in going directly to SQL2012 Express.
There is a plethora of info about this but a have not been able to get the detail I need.
I have a development environment on a VM box so could experiment if required. First step is to 32bit or 64bit or not ????
Hope you guys can help
Microsoft Legacy OSMicrosoft SQL Server 2008Microsoft SQL Server 2005
8/22/2022 - Mon
Your help has saved me hundreds of hours of internet surfing.