Quick Exchange Licensing Question

Posted on 2014-03-04
Last Modified: 2014-03-05
Hey Guys'n'Gals,

We have received conflicting information from our vendors on licensing Exchange users.

Does every Exchange User CAL also require a regular Server CAL?  Or is the only license necessary to add a user to your Exchange Server the Exchange User CAL?

Thanks for your help,

Question by:mwright351
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 37

Expert Comment

by:Jian An Lim
ID: 39905436
So server do not use CALS  (Client access licences)
server use server licence

so for example, you have 5 exchange servers
you might need 3 standard servers licence and 2 enteprise servers  licence (usually for mailbox database greater than 5)

then, you have user CALS

for user CALS there is standard and enterprise
in order to use user enterprise CALS, you need to have standard CALS.

this is the same for exchange 2007, 2010

exchange 2003 is different
LVL 95

Accepted Solution

Lee W, MVP earned 250 total points
ID: 39905757
CALs are ADDITIVE - an Exchange CAL does not grant you license to access the Windows server that Exchange is running on and you need that to connect to exchange.  So you need (assuming you are licensing per user) AT LEAST as many Standard User CALs as you do Exchange User CALs.  And you might need Enterprise Exchange CALs if you want to use the Enterprise features.

DISCLAIMER: Licensing advice offered here is a "best effort" and based on the understanding of the respondents. Licenses can change and we may not be aware of these changes or may misunderstand them. Further, licenses and laws allowing them to be enforced can differ by country and/or region and what we understand to be true in our area could be false in your area.  "they told me on Experts-Exchange" will not be a valid defense in a software audit.  All licensing questions should be confirmed with the appropriate licensing authority (the maker of the software/issuer of the license).
LVL 22

Assisted Solution

yo_bee earned 250 total points
ID: 39906560
5 Windows Server STD
1 Exchange Server
1 SharePoint Server
50 Users in your Environment

You would need 5 Windows Server Lic, 1 Exchange Lic, 1 SharePoint Lic, 50 Window User CAL's, 50 Exchange User CALS, 50 SharePoint User CALS

You do not need 50 Server User CALS per Server you have, just 50 Server User CALs in all.

And this is also all on the honor system.
LVL 11

Expert Comment

ID: 39906638
Think about the licences as keys to a room or an office.

If you one to have a mailbox(office/room) you need to give one a key to get into to it or have access to it.  So if you have 1 mailbox per user/device/room you will need an Exchange User License (CAL) for it.

Now, apply the same to Windows Server (file servers) and users accessing your AD and shares on the same environment. Here you will also need a CAL per user/device accessing your files in or out of the environment.

Keep in mind you may not need to have all users or rooms with a mailbox so you don't have to match the amounts of CALs for both. You can have 100 CALs for file server and 80 for Exchange if you have 20 user not needing email.  In that same area, you can have mailboxes that had a user in the past but now they are just kept for reference and another user has access to it; therefore you can have more mailboxes than users on your system.

Maybe the confusion raised because you are moving from SBS2003 which licenses where different.  Or maybe because your vendor is assuming if you need 40 server CALs you need the same for Exchange.

But to be simple.... YES!!!!    you need CALs for server access (file servers) and for Exchange.

DISCLAIMER: Licensing advice offered here is a "best effort" based on the understanding of the respondents. Licenses requirement varies from environment requirements and can change and we may not be aware of these changes or may misunderstand them.   All licensing questions should be confirmed with the appropriate licensing authority (the maker of the software/issuer of the license) according to your specific needs.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 39906643
Thanks everyone for your input - that clears it up for me!

Featured Post

Is Your AD Toolbox Looking More Like a Toybox?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Utilizing an array to gracefully append to a list of EmailAddresses
How to resolve IMCEAEX NDRs in Exchange or Exchange Online related to invalid X500 addresses.
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
This video shows how to quickly and easily add an email signature for all users on Exchange 2016. The resulting signature is applied on a server level by Exchange Online. The email signature template has been downloaded from: www.mail-signatures…

733 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question