I need some guidance and to hear your similar experiences regarding External Disks used with Macpro. I am a new Mac user, I could not resist to get a 16 GB RAM on a laptop which is offered by Macpro by default.
I am traveling frequently and I need to use several VM images at the same time so I thought this machine would be a life saver. However, I keep having issues when I try to turn on more than 3 VM images from an external disk. I tried 3 types of external disks: one with USB 2 (separate electricity), USB 3 (separate electricity), USB 3 (electricity through USB interface)
All three trials ended with freezes and I strongly suspect that the problem is from the disk I/O speed.
To address this problem once and for all, I want to investigate my options:
1. I cannot copy my VMs on Macpro's disk for space limitations. I need to carry them on an external device.
2. I need to get/buy an external disk that will give me a reasonable I/O so that I can acceptably run 3-4 VMs at the same time
3. I need to choose an interface that provides me the fastest communication between the external device and macpro. USB 3? Firewire?
4. Will the performance be better if I invest on a big size SD card instead and have my VMs in it?
5. What are your methods and experiences?
Please share comments and ideas.
Thank you in advance.