Corporate Exchange, Outlook 2013, HP 8300 SFF 64/32bit system Windows 7 Pro
Posted on 2014-03-05
Hi, I have been browsing these forums looking for a solution to my issue but all of the relating threads seem to have no fix/I have tried them. I am making this thread so that people will know what other steps to take/check what I have done.
Issue - In this company, two people have the HP 8300 SFF workstation, one on 64bit windows 7 pro which is using a local account and the other on 32bits windows 7 pro which is on a domain environment.
We have successfully connected their email accounts to outlook 2013, but their issue is that it keeps hanging/not responding on them. They would have to wait about maybe 5 minutes for it to come back or restart outlook. They also have an issue where sent emails can get stuck in the outbox for a fairly long time and also they have issues with email receiving timings.
To get outlook to not respond, they can be doing anything from typing an email to just looking at the screen. There have also been instances where they will be typing an email and then all of a sudden when they stop, the composing email minimises itself and seem to have closed itself as well, not saving a draft or anything.
Solutions we have tried -
- Changed the network drivers on the HP site (Since I am a support, I do windows update and not from HP site)
- Created new profiles
- Disabled hardware accelerations
- Changed Authentication settings to NTLM
- Changed Send/Receive timings
- Changed Windows theme to basic
- Repaired data files
- Repaired Office (quick repair)
- Repaired Office (full repair)
- Checked for Windows Update
- Disabled all ad-ins
- Repaired outlook profiles
- Turned cache mode off
- Mailbox size as small as possible
- Ran MSE and Malwarebytes
- Disk Cleanup
- Disk defrag
At the moment, I am rebuilding the windows 32bit system to 64bit, so a clean windows install and office.
If you guys have any other ideas to share, please do. I will update the results.