Server configuration for virtualbox.
Posted on 2014-03-06
Our company is running on windows 2003 and I need to get upgraded to 2008. I don't want to perform the upgrade on a the servers since you can buy new servers very reasonably. What I want to do is this.
1. Poweredge 2950 gen 3 2x quadcore 3.0 or better with 48GB of Memory and 8 2.5 sas 10,000rpm drives
2. Install ubuntu or other host software for running virtual machines.
3. Install virualbox and create server 2008 as a virtualbox system.
4. poweredge 2950 with ??? Ram and ??? Drives. (Will be used for bakcup of snapshots and offsite data backup.
5. Maybe use ubuntu for the second server as well.
I am trying to do this on a budget that won't break the bank. But at the same time I want there to be a perfomance increase over our old server which is a 2950 with 13 GB of memory and raid 10 with 15000 rmp sas drives and 2x quad core x5355 core processors running at 2.66 I believe.
My thoughts are to use the virtual box so I can take snapshots of the 2008 server for backup and disaster recovery offload them to the second server so someone can split the raid at night and take one home with them.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.