Windows 8.1 upgrade IE11 and socket errors
Posted on 2014-03-10
Windows 8.1 woes
New Dell Inspiron 7737 laptop came with windows 8
installed all my apps and docs - working a treat.
Ghosted the drive to a new SSD using Faststone DriveClone and worked a treat (and lots faster).
Used the laptop for several weeks without issue, developing code and using MySQL, MS SQL etc.
Upgraded to 8.1 and now I have a number of problems.
IE11 desktop version does not work.
It displays a "This page can't be displayed" error
The Metro IE11 works fine and displays any page without errors.
However this is not the only problem I have.
None of my remote support programs now work (Teamviewer, Netviewer).
They all ask for Proxy settings even though I have never had to use a proxy before.
Even if I add a valid proxy server they still do not work.
In addition my MySQL database will not start at all.
I get a "cannot create socket error"
The MS SQL database server runs (and I can see it from Management Studio) but if I try and connect to it from code I get an ODBC error.
I'm guessing that it's a TCP stack problem but not sure what to do next.
I've tried restarting with a clean boot (disabled all services except Microsoft and disabled all startup items) but this had no effect.
I've used Internet Options, Advanced, Security and enabled Enhanced Protected Mode and this lets IE11 Desktop open some websites but only a few (I think it's only the ones that I've already opened in Metro version but don't quote me on that).
I've Used Turn Windows features on and off to untick IE11 restart, re-enable, Reset Advanced Settings to clear any settings and restarted and still have the same problem.
I've downloaded the latest network drivers using IE11 Metro (in case the install trampled these) and re-installed these (I had the latest already so it does a repair install). I've updated the Bios to the latest from Dell website (A06).
Not sure what to try next - this is a development laptop and it took me 3 days to install all my stuff (MS SQL, MySQL, VS2014, VS6.0, Drivers, Source Code, USB DIO cards and so on).
I still have the original hard drive before clone so I'll use that for now (means re-installing
some stuff) but I would like to find a solution to this if possible.