I use sql server 2008 database.
What can I do in sql server management studio to clean up a query? look at it for problems. Get advice. Find problems?
1. I've used display estimated execution plan and that means nothing helpful to me.
2. I don't know how to use the SQL Server Profiler to trace the query. It asks me for a template and then that's as far as I get. "Help" doesn't help because it says to use the templates provided and there are none.
3. My client statistics reads:
4. My Execution plan reads:
Query Cost: 100%
I don't know what that means.
5. I don't know how to use "Analyze Query in Database Engine Tuning Advisor." I get over there create a new connection, I read the help file but that is more what it does and not how to do it.
6. Ignore all the above and please just tell me:
Does anyone have a link to step by step instructions for walking through and creating a something or other that will allow me to tune my query? I know the query I want to tune. I just need to know how to do it.
BTW, I use a query, not a stored procedure.