Suddenly, after four years smooth sailing, I can't get exclusive access in VFP9 to the DBC or a DBF to modify a file in my application.
Files are on Windows Server 2008, R2. I am logging in from home to my work computer via VPN and RDC.
I did some housekeeping Thursday and modified 4 databases, getting rid of old files, using this process:
SET EXCLUSIVE ON
OPEN DATABASE inventory
REMOVE TABLE edicases delete
REMOVE TABLE edi_recv_hd_875 delete
I did not touch one DBC, and find I can get exclusive access to it. The four I did remove tables from, I can no longer get exclusive access to for changes.
The app was in regular use Friday, with 10 users (all local). One got an error message at the start of the day "Error reading file . . .\inventory.dbc" , but not again, and multiple people used the inventory DBC with no issue.
I am 99.9% sure no one else is currently using the app, which of course would prevent me from getting exclusive access to files.