Adding Additional Drive Cage to HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8
Posted on 2014-03-18
I've to add a drive cage to a production HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8. I want to post this question as I've not done this on this server and would like to become aware of any pitfalls I should be watching for.
1. I will be replacing the existing optical drive with the new drive cage (SFF, additional 8 bay)
2. I have an additional RAID controller card P420
3. The Server already has a SFF bay and raid controller as primary storage right now
4. I have two SFF disks to install initially in Mirror
1. Will the server recognise two RAID controllers (are two needed?, I take it one card cannot control two cages?
2. Will the OS recognise two RAID controllers and present the new disk\logical partition to the OS on the other RAID controller (existing primary)
3. I take it upon boot up it will be easy to setup the logical drive on the new controller
4. This should require no changes on the existing drive cage\disks setup, and is independent of it?
5. Any videos on this particular task (I had a look on youtube with not much luck)
Thanks Guys, if there is anything else I need to watch out for let me know. I know the above questions are pretty low level but I prefer to be extra cautious. If somebody has done this before it would be great to get feedback.