I am in a bit of a dilemma. I work for a IT outsourcing company and we support a client A (DomainA) that has 2003 AD functional and domain level. Client A has recently purchased a new business Client B (Domain B) That is running a SBS2003 environment with 4 other domain controllers within the same domain.
I was planning to consolidate the two domains by collapsing Domain B into the Domain A by using ADMT. I discovered that SBS 2003 or any version of SBS does not permit the creation of a trust between the two domains. I have done a bit of research and this brings me to basically 2 ways to do this.
1) Find the 2003 SBS Transistional Pack and upgrade teh SBS server to a standard server. Being 2014 i think it will be next to imposible to find this media anywhere.
2) Remove the SBS services all together - The Client B is not using any of the SBS services. Email is offshore with office365 no sql or other applications running on it. It is basically just a PDC for the DomainB.
I cant seem to find the SBS transitional pack anywhere with microsoft advising to contact local distributers and local distributers advising to contact microsoft. This leaves me to believe option 2 is the only option at this point in time.
Below is the steps i plan to do. Can you guys provide any insight into things a may have missed or if i need to re-organize the schedule.
1) Modify the Registry permissions to disable the SBCore Services on the SBS server
2) Confirm that DNS is installed on the remaining domain controllers and the intergrated DNZ zone has replicated to all dc's
3) Confirm all client devices are pointing to the new DNS servers
4) Make one of the other server that is a DC a Global catalog server
5) FSMO the roles over to this other domain controller (PDC, RID scheama master etc)
6) confirm the Sysvol and netlogon shares have replicated to the second domain controller and all the rest - force replication by doing a authorative / non-authorative restore i.e. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315457
7) Move the site licensing server from the sbs server to the new domain controller
8) Reboot new domain controller that is now PDC and a Global catalog
9) Remove global catalog from sbs2003 server
10) Uninstall sbs components from legacy sbs2003 server
11) Demote legacy sbs server so it is purely a member server
Please let me know if there is anything i need to add to this task list or if i am missing anything critical