Solved

Group Policy Update fails

Posted on 2014-03-27
6
661 Views
Last Modified: 2015-05-04
I recently demoted my main domain Controller but before doing so i moved all of the FSMO roles over and then demoted it in accordance to the whitepapers, it was a 2003 DC.  i now have 2008 R2 DC which host all of the FSMO roles and everything was working correctly(at least I thought) until I tried to force a gpupdate and it failed.  here is the message:

Component Name Status Last Process Time
Group Policy Infrastructure Failed 3/27/2014 7:21:42 AM
Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below.

The system cannot find the path specified.

Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for the other components is not available.

Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events tab in the console or the application event log for events between 3/27/2014 7:21:41 AM and 3/27/2014 7:21:42 AM.
 
Folder Redirection (N/A) 3/17/2014 5:28:00 PM
Internet Explorer Branding (N/A) 3/17/2014 5:28:01 PM
Registry (N/A) 3/17/2014 5:28:00 PM
Scripts

any suggestions?  here is the gpupdate /force failure:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator.CHPHEALTH>gpupdate /force
Updating Policy...

User policy could not be updated successfully. The following errors were encount
ered:

The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\chph
ealth.org\SysVol\chphealth.org\Policies\{276C6C9D-5EB4-4F7E-95B6-DC3F80FFD2CA}\g
pt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings ma
y not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and c
ould be caused by one or more of the following:
a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller.
b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller
 has not replicated to the current domain controller).
c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled.
Computer Policy update has completed successfully.


Thanks in advance.....
0
Comment
Question by:mogurek
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 23

Accepted Solution

by:
Thomas Grassi earned 500 total points
ID: 39959097
run this on your DC's

netdiag >>dclogx.txt

dcdiag >>dclogx.txt
dcdiag /test:registerindns /dnsdomain:FQDN HERE>>dclogx.txt
dcdiag /c /v >>dclogx.txt
dcdiag /test:dns >>dclogx.txt
browstat status -v our >>dclogx.txt

Post results
0
 

Author Comment

by:mogurek
ID: 39969744
Here you go, netdiag >>dclogx.txt and browstat status -v our >>dclogx.txt did not work.
dclogx.txt
0
 
LVL 23

Expert Comment

by:Thomas Grassi
ID: 39969851
Reviewed the report.

I would check your DNS settings as a start.

check this   http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887303


Fix the DNS errors and then run the report again
0
Use Case: Protecting a Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure

Microsoft Azure is rapidly becoming the norm in dynamic IT environments. This document describes the challenges that organizations face when protecting data in a hybrid cloud IT environment and presents a use case to demonstrate how Acronis Backup protects all data.

 

Author Comment

by:mogurek
ID: 39970223
0
 

Author Comment

by:mogurek
ID: 39970226
how do I remove the references for gcc-dc-001 and chp-dc-002?  they are old DC that are not on line any longer.  how does everthing else look?  also the reference to: \\chphealth.org\SysVol\chphealth.org\Policies\{276C6C9D-5EB4-4F7E-95B6-DC3F80FFD2CA}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. I believe is also from a old dc which I currently dcpromo'd.  Thanks!
0
 

Expert Comment

by:TMS
ID: 40758408
Hi I have this same problem where the User policy fails with a standard User but the computer policy applies successfully.  However, when I log in as a domain admin then Gpupdate is successful.  Because of this I assume the DNS is fine and therefore a permissions problem.
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Windows Server Licensing - Home Server 6 79
GPO not applying to designated group-- Server 2012R2 2 77
sccm importing drivers 4 84
harddrive crash 6 43
INTRODUCTION The purpose of this document is to demonstrate the Installation and configuration of the Data Protection Manager product. Note that this demonstration was prepared on the basis of Windows OS is 2008 R2 and DPM 2010. DATA PROTECTI…
I have put this article together as i needed to get all the information that might be available already into one general document that could be referenced once without searching the Internet for the different pieces. I have had a few issues where…
This video Micro Tutorial explains how to clone a hard drive using a commercial software product for Windows systems called Casper from Future Systems Solutions (FSS). Cloning makes an exact, complete copy of one hard disk drive (HDD) onto another d…
Windows 8 came with a dramatically different user interface known as Metro. Notably missing from that interface was a Start button and Start Menu. Microsoft responded to negative user feedback of the Metro interface, bringing back the Start button a…

710 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question