Solved

WebAPI 2 - Adding related object generates JSON error when retrieving values

Posted on 2014-03-29
3
2,108 Views
Last Modified: 2014-04-05
Hi:

I am using WebAPI 2.1.  I have a simple class defined as follows:

 public class Statement
    {
        public Statement(int id, string name)
        {
            Id = id;
            Name= name;
        }

        //For EF
        public Statement()
        {

        }
        public int Id { get; set; }
        public string Name { get; set; }
    }
      

Open in new window


When I make an http request, such as mysite.com/api/statements, it works fine and retrieves the data.  When I add the the following property to my class -
        public virtual Activity Activity { get; set; } - and make a get request, I get the following error message

Message: "An error has occurred.",
ExceptionMessage: "The 'ObjectContent`1' type failed to serialize the response body for content type 'application/json; charset=utf-8'.",
ExceptionType: "System.InvalidOperationException",
StackTrace: null,
InnerException: {
Message: "An error has occurred.",
ExceptionMessage: "Error getting value from 'Activity' on 'System.Data.Entity.DynamicProxies.Statement_6244758049322F2013F45504488584D62A3E3D45B5CDB4D16F0EA721E9E737B1'.",
ExceptionType: "Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException",.........:

Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong greatly appreciated.

RBS
0
Comment
Question by:RBS
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 96

Expert Comment

by:Bob Learned
ID: 39966652
How is Activity declared?
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
RBS earned 0 total points
ID: 39967674
Hi:

Sorry - I just figured out what the problem was - It looks like I needed to declare a MultipleActiveResultSets = true in my web.config

RBS
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:RBS
ID: 39979865
It was a long and complicated error message and thought trial and error was able to come up with solution
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

More often than not, we developers are confronted with a need: a need to make some kind of magic happen via code. Whether it is for a client, for the boss, or for our own personal projects, the need must be satisfied. Most of the time, the Framework…
A long time ago (May 2011), I have written an article showing you how to create a DLL using Visual Studio 2005 to be hosted in SQL Server 2005. That was valid at that time and it is still valid if you are still using these versions. You can still re…
The Email Laundry PDF encryption service allows companies to send confidential encrypted  emails to anybody. The PDF document can also contain attachments that are embedded in the encrypted PDF. The password is randomly generated by The Email Laundr…
Attackers love to prey on accounts that have privileges. Reducing privileged accounts and protecting privileged accounts therefore is paramount. Users, groups, and service accounts need to be protected to help protect the entire Active Directory …

738 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question