?
Solved

dlookup fields not refreshing all of a sudden

Posted on 2014-03-31
2
Medium Priority
?
642 Views
Last Modified: 2014-04-01
I have been using the same database for years that uses a subform that has a series of fields populated by the dlookup command.  I am using Windows 7 and Office 2010.  Since last week in every one of these databases you need to click field by field for the data to appear. I have made no changes at all to the database.  I am assuming a Microsoft upgrade had something to do with this.

 I found out I can use the F9 key which immediately fixes this issue.  How can I fix this programatically?  I have tried the refresh and repaint method with no success.   What needs to get refreshed?  The main form,the sub form,  each dlookup field?  Thanks for any insight.
0
Comment
Question by:Sbovino
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
2 Comments
 
LVL 85

Accepted Solution

by:
Scott McDaniel (Microsoft Access MVP - EE MVE ) earned 2000 total points
ID: 39967469
Before diving into code, I'd first make sure your database is healthy. Make a backup, then do this:

Compact the Database - in 2010, click the File tab, and then click the Compact button.
Compile the database - open the VBA Editor, and click Debug - Compile. Fix any errors, and continue doing this until the menu item is disabled.
Compact again.

Sometimes it helps to Decompile. To do that, create a shortcut with this as the target:

"full path to msaccess.exe" "full path to your database" \decompile

Run that, then run the 3 steps above again.

Finally, you might consider moving everything to a new, blank database.

Also be sure that your installation of Windows and Office are fully up to date.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Sbovino
ID: 39969026
Your advice was great but that was not the problem.  When I went home I was able to open and display my database data as designed on my home computer.(Windows 8).  Back at work a reboot solved the problem.  Not sure what happened but your advice is appreciated and I am sure I will refer to it in the future.  I never used dcompile.  Interesting as I have dealt with some damaged databases over the years.  Thanks again.
0

Featured Post

Comprehensive Backup Solutions for Microsoft

Acronis protects the complete Microsoft technology stack: Windows Server, Windows PC, laptop and Surface data; Microsoft business applications; Microsoft Hyper-V; Azure VMs; Microsoft Windows Server 2016; Microsoft Exchange 2016 and SQL Server 2016.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article describes a method of delivering Word templates for use in merging Access data to Word documents, that requires no computer knowledge on the part of the recipient -- the templates are saved in table fields, and are extracted and install…
If you need a simple but flexible process for maintaining an audit trail of who created, edited, or deleted data from a table, or multiple tables, and you can do all of your work from within a form, this simple Audit Log will work for you.
In Microsoft Access, learn how to use Dlookup and other domain aggregate functions and one method of specifying a string value within a string. Specify the first argument, which is the expression to be returned: Specify the second argument, which …
Access reports are powerful and flexible. Learn how to create a query and then a grouped report using the wizard. Modify the report design after the wizard is done to make it look better. There will be another video to explain how to put the final p…
Suggested Courses

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question