Solved

SharePoint Search Bar not working

Posted on 2014-03-31
5
496 Views
Last Modified: 2014-06-24
All, I just recently migrated a sharepoint 2010 from a Hyper V environment to a VMWare environment. The server comes up, SharfPoint works internal and externally.

We created a search site that crawls and returns search results. However, if we use the Search bar at the top / right side of the Sharpoint site, it comes back and reflects the following:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 68.171.97.163:8080

Well the 68 IP is from my old environment. Any thoughts on this one ?

Thanks !!
0
Comment
Question by:PAULADAMSJR
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 18

Expert Comment

by:Walter Curtis
ID: 39969156
That setting is found under the site settings --> site actions --> search settings of the site collection. Make modifications to those settings to set it up to meet the new environment.
0
 

Author Comment

by:PAULADAMSJR
ID: 39976497
Ok great, I was able to finally get that to reflect the correct IP address.

Now, when I type something in the search bar, it returns the search results containing the OLD server's IP address and not the new. Any more thoughts ?

For example,
I do a search on "ERWS"  in the search box and it returns the following:

http://69.171.97.163:8080/corp/IT/ERWS/ESRWS Users Guide 09-14-2012.doc

Well, the migrated server is now hosted on a 129.101.99.121 IP address

So, shouldn't the link look something like this:
http://129.101.99.121:8080/corp/IT/ERWS/ESRWS Users Guide 09-14-2012.doc


So, how do we get the result to return with the correct IP address ?

Thanks !!
Paul ~
0
 
LVL 18

Expert Comment

by:Walter Curtis
ID: 39976615
The first thing to do is to run a search full crawl, actually the first thing to do is check that your content sources in search are correct, then do the full crawl. This can be accomplished from Central Admin. If that does not solve your problem, (it should), then there is a way to set the server name, or ip in your case.
0
 

Author Comment

by:PAULADAMSJR
ID: 39976656
Ok, Cool... But I am not an expert sharepoint admin.  I can setup a default SharPoint but then when it gets to the real nuts and bolts, I am not sure of everything.

Can you tell me how to (1)
Check my content sources in search and make sure they are correct ?

and (2)
How to set the server name, or ip ?

This would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!
0
 
LVL 18

Accepted Solution

by:
Walter Curtis earned 500 total points
ID: 39978237
Start by going to Central Administration

Out of the box, on the front page of the Central Admin site, on the right had side there is a column titled "Resources". There should be a link to the Search Administration page. Click that link. If the link is not there, let me know.

You should come to a page named "Farm Search Administration". About half way down on the page is a section named "Search Service Applications". You probably have only one item listed there. Click on that link.

You should not come to a page used to administer your search service (application)

On the left hand side of the page you will find most links to most of the configurations you will need. The first on to go to is the Content Source page. (Found within the Crawling Section). Once there you will be able to see what content is being crawled. This is somewhat self-explanatory so no in depth here. You can also start either a full crawl or incremental crawl from this page. So check the listed content sources, modify to meet the new environment, and then start a full crawl. You can track the progress of the crawl by clicking again in the far left hand column under Diagnostics - Crawl Log. Once there, I use the Crawl History link found in the bread crumb navigation to monitor the crawl. Remember a crawl could take a long time depending upon how much content there is to crawl. (I have been in environment where the crawl took 36 hours before.)

The issue with the wrong IP in the search results should clear of after the crawl. If not, go back to the far left menu and under Crawling go to "Server Name Mappings". You may need to use this, depending upon how your environment is configured, but probably not.

Hope that helps
0

Featured Post

Enroll in May's Course of the Month

May’s Course of the Month is now available! Experts Exchange’s Premium Members and Team Accounts have access to a complimentary course each month as part of their membership—an extra way to increase training and boost professional development.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

When installing SharePoint 2010 RTM I came across a strange error, I was getting timeouts during the installation. I searched the web and found the best solution to be found here (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepoint2010genera…
I used to be SharePoint evangelist in our company, so my Outlook always full of questions about how to do this, or where I can find that. One day I found such an email with the following question: "how to attach 3-State workflow (one of the workflow…
Nobody understands Phishing better than an anti-spam company. That’s why we are providing Phishing Awareness Training to our customers. According to a report by Verizon, only 3% of targeted users report malicious emails to management. With compan…
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to update 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

739 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question