I have a client with two identical machines (one at his office and one at his home), both running Windows 7 Pro fully patched, Office 2013 Pro fully patched and Adobe Acrobat Pro 9x fully patched, This past weekend he purchased an item online and received the receipt in PDF format from the vendor. He opened the PDF on his home machine and all of the text was garbled (see incorrect.jpg). Today, he opened the PDF file on his work machine and it displayed correctly (see correct.jpg). I compared all settings within Adobe Acrobat on both machines and they are identical. I also used the basic troubleshooting steps offered by Adobe by going to Edit > Preferences > Page Display and unchecking Use local fonts, but this didn't resolve.
Edit 04/01/2014 @ 0349am - I compared the installed fonts on both machines and they are identical - 243 fonts, all the exact same names.