BOOTMGR IS MISSING - Windows 7 - NEW INSTALL
Posted on 2014-04-01
BSOD caused by failed HD required new HD and fresh new Windows 7 installation. Everything was fine for quite a few reboots since yesterday. Did not have current back up or image file to restore. Had to reinstall all programs; completed quite a few.
1. Installed new Windows 7 on new SATA drive and have 5 internal drives. One had Windows Vista installed once upon a time.
2. At boot was always now presented with options to boot to Vista, Earlier Operating System or Windows 7. Of course, only want Windows 7 and Vista has not been in use for years now.
3. Went into Disk Management to try to remove that volume which contains the old Vista stuff by formatting. It is a partitioned drive. I could format one partition but not the one which has "system" in it. I did make it inactive and tried again and again to format it including going into elevated DOS prompt to issue diskpart, list disks and issued the format command there. It did NOT , in face format the drive that I knew to be the right drive, but rather another one. Nightmare.
4. The result of all this is that I was in the same boat but now could no longer boot now get the BOOTMGR IS MISSING.
5. Loaded my Windows 7 DVD and tried repair, same thing.