Solved

SharePoint 2010 - SharePoint: Business Data Connectivity Service Application Not Accessible

Posted on 2014-04-02
2
407 Views
Last Modified: 2014-04-03
I created the following SCOM alert this morning for our sharepoint app server "SharePoint: Business Data Connectivity Service Application Not Accessible Resolution state: New" I confirmed the BCD services were running. I tried to look at the Sharepoint log for the time frame the error accured but not see why this message was generated.

- Everything seems to be working fine and nothing has changed in our enviroment.

1) How can I "test" to make sure th BCD service is working correctly to make sure this error doesn not happen again.

2) I still would like to know what caused it to be trigger in the first place.
0
Comment
Question by:compdigit44
2 Comments
 
LVL 15

Accepted Solution

by:
colly92002 earned 500 total points
ID: 39974634
If you want to test BCS works then the most obvious thing to do is find a site that uses it and see if that is functioning correctly.

Failing that, check Central Admin, Services on Server, and check that Business Data Connectivity Service  is in the"Started" state.  Then check Service Applications and make sure the proxy for the service exists.  Click on that and you should see all the configured BCS connections.  The name of each connection has a drop down menu and you can drill into the types, and create/upgrade an app page for the BCS type.   If you go to the page it creates and you get an error you can look this up in the ULS logs using somethign like the "ULS Log Viewer" app you can get form codeplex, but remember any error reported here is more likely to be a misconfiguration of the specific BCS connection rather than the server.  Frankly if you can get this far its probably working fine.

Finally, if you are still not convinced you can use Sharepoint designer in a test site to create a new BCS connection.  See here for a walkthrough: http://blog.karstein-consulting.com/2011/02/23/walkthrough-create-a-simple-bcs-connection-with-sharepoint-designer-2010/


To find out what triggered the error in the first place use the ULS Log View and search for errors it generated.  Sharepoint generates a ton of diagnostics and it can be difficult to find these errors without a correlation ID.  

The most likely problem in a farm environment would be a temporary loss of connectivity between the servers on the farm (perhaps a DC reset?) that meant the network failed temporarily.
0
 
LVL 20

Author Comment

by:compdigit44
ID: 39974843
Great information and I learned something new as well...

Thanks Again
0

Featured Post

U.S. Department of Agriculture and Acronis Access

With the new era of mobile computing, smartphones and tablets, wireless communications and cloud services, the USDA sought to take advantage of a mobilized workforce and the blurring lines between personal and corporate computing resources.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

I recently came across an issue with a MOSS 2007 deployment where access into some sub-sites were denied, even for the MOSS farm administrators. A bit of background to the setup of this MOSS farm; this was a three server setup, consisting of a fr…
There is one common problem that all we SharePoint developers share: custom solution deployment. This topic can't be covered fully in this short article, so all I want to do in this one is to review it from a development-to-operations perspectiv…
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below. https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/2017/03_w12/1151775/Permutations.txt https://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incoming/201…

679 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question