• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 146
  • Last Modified:

Exchange SBS 2003 SP2 ActiveSync Not Working

Hi all;

One of our clients have SBS2003 R2 SP2. ActiveSync stopped working suddenly. OWA, OMA and Outlook are working fine. The EventLog is full of Event ID 3005

Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [mail.abc.local] User: [user@abc.com] HTTP status code: [501]. Verify that the Exchange mailbox Server is working correctly.

I followed everything mentioned in the following KBs with no luck since that all the settings are exactly as mentioned in the KBs

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817379

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817379

I tested ActiveSync with https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ and here is the ActiveSync result:

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ActiveSync

Please help.

Thanks
TCG.JPG
0
Kinan Al-Haffar
Asked:
Kinan Al-Haffar
  • 3
  • 2
1 Solution
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Please have a read of my article and check all your settings and then if they are all correct and you still get the HTTP 500 errors, follow KB883380 and delete / recreate the Exchange virtual directories.

If that doesn't fix things, then what has changed?  Has any software been installed lately such as Disk Keeper or Microsoft Security Essentials as that breaks Activesync.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Email_Servers/Exchange/A_1798-Exchange-2003-Activesync-Connection-Problems-FAQ.html

Alan
0
 
Kinan Al-HaffarSenior Systems EngineerAuthor Commented:
Hi Alan;

Thanks for the reply. I already went through your article prior posting here, and I followed all of your steps, but still no luck. I recreated the virtual directories and checked all related settings, and I did run the wizard and everything seem to be in place.. but still no luck..

The latest changes are Windows updates and Sophos Enterprise Console, nothing else. Sophos Enterprise Console was already installed, we are performing an upgrade from ver 4 to 6. However, ActiveSync stopped working upon installing the Windows Updates and before upgrading the Sophos console. Nothing else from what you have mentioned is installed.

Any suggestions..
0
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Okay - so all was working before the updates?

What updates went on the server?

Usually if you have reset the virtual directories and followed my article and you still get the HTTP 500 error, then you are left with a DNS issue internally!

Can you please post a screen-shot of your forward lookup zones (please obscure the internal domain name for any domains that will identify you).

Thanks

Alan
0
 
Kinan Al-HaffarSenior Systems EngineerAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the help.

The updates are:

Hotfix for Windows Server 2003 (KB942288-v4)
Hotfix for Windows Server 2003 (KB958655-v2)

DNS is fine I assume since that I did run all kind of DNS tests

dcdiag /Test:DNS /DNSAll passed all tests, and all Replications tests passed, and nslookup results are ok as well. Pics are attached.
DNS1.jpg
DNS2.jpg
0
 
Alan HardistyCo-OwnerCommented:
Thanks - they all look fine.  Just making sure you have the _msdcs.internaldomain.local zone and you do, so that's good.

Can you uninstall those updates one at a time please and then re-test activesync.

Thanks

Alan
0

Featured Post

Free tool for managing users' photos in Office 365

Easily upload multiple users’ photos to Office 365. Manage them with an intuitive GUI and use handy built-in cropping and resizing options. Link photos with users based on Azure AD attributes. Free tool!

  • 3
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now