Server PC: Win7 Pro SP1, i5, 3.4ghz, 6gb ram, dell OptiPlex 7010, service tag d32pcx1
Uses wifi connection to netgear wgr614v7 router, ATT DSL modem
I'm trying to set up port forwarding and free NOIP.com dynamic dns hosting on an office router that gets a dynamic IP from ATT DSL. Here's what I did so far:
> Set static IP on computer that is to be a software server (ipv4=static, ipv6=auto)
> In static IP, set DNS server to be same IP as LOCAL ROUTER GATEWAY from ipconfig/all
> Open future software's port number (TCP) on Windows Firewall
> Forward port 10021 (TCP) on router to the static IP of the Win7 PC
> Removed 2 existing forwards (for obsolete software, different ports)
> Set up dynamic DNS hostname for router's external IP at NOIP.com
> Download "No-IP’s Dynamic Update Client (DUC)", Set Up, Log In. Set to start with windows
> Check to see if ATT DSL blocks this port 10021, they don't appear to.
> The NOIP dns hosting / routing only works until the router external IP changes. So DUC isn't working.
> Port testing is failing (using only online port testers so far). They say that the "Current Public IP Address" is the same as the one on the router status page.
> As a test, opened port 20 in Win7 firewall, and forwarded to the Win7 static IP. The online pport testers say THIS PORT IS BLOCKED TOO.
Based on what I read at pcwintech.com, here's what I'm going to check when I go back:
> Try diff port test tools (local software on PC)
> See if "general security level" of router set too high (if I can FIND it! see below)
> Check for 2nd router (tho above suggests no)
> Reset router, reapply settings
> Turn off / repair windows firewall
> See if DMZ isenabled on router
> Restore old port forwards on router? (for older version of software?)
MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU:
(1) I didn't see anywhere in the wgr614 v7 router config or manual to set a "level of security" or to configure individual ports, other than to do port forwarding. Where is it on the wgr614v7?
(2) I noticed on the router there was a page titled "Dynamic DNS", where I could choose DynDNS.ORG from a dropdown. Do I need to enter info THERE AS WELL? (NOIP setup never mentioned this.)
(3) I'm using the local gateway IP as the DNS Server IP in Win7's static IP setup. Because that's the DNS server I got from ipconfig/all. Plus that setup is allowing internet access from Win7. Could that be causing problems? Should I be using DNS IPs from the router status page?
(4) (gripe question) After I downloaded noip's DUC, installed it, and entered my id & password, only one of the 3 status lines were "green", the other 2 were red. Until I went into "manage hosts", put a "check" next to my host, and hit OK. Then all 3 are green. How is that not default? Especially with one host! It's like setting up a bank account, and then after it's all done, still having to go online and check a box that says, "allow me to use my own money". Very frustrating. Or am I wrong?
(5) DUC must be failing still, because, whereas typing in our host URL (from NOIP) into a browser at the office loaded the netgear router admin page (normal, right?), now from home (12 hours later) it no longer works. I'll review NOIP's literature. But any suggestions are welcome.