SCCM doesn't replicate site changes up to the hierarchy

Posted on 2014-04-07
Last Modified: 2014-05-16
In our SCCM2007 R3 hierarchy we have a central site and a child primary site.

We need to add a branch distribution point to the child primary site. We add it in the console connected to the database of the child site. However on central site the new BDP is not visible.

We checked the hman.log and found a record saying that:
The serial number (961) for the site control file U:\SCCM\BIN\inboxes\\W61FQW74.CT2 (site = XXX) is out of date, discard it, the current site serial number is 963

We checked the DB (in the table site control) and also the site config file and in both, there is the serial number 963.

The situation is very strange, because if we change some other site configuration (e.g. paramaters of HW inventory client agent), it is replicated to the central site without any problem.

We 'd appreciate any hint.
Question by:glavinfocz
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 5
  • 3
LVL 31

Expert Comment

ID: 39985147
You can give this a try, but i strongly  recommend a full backup of all Systems in advance
Also check this:

Author Comment

ID: 39985188
We read both articles.

We tried to change the serial number in the site control file.
1. Before the change, the serial number in the file and in the DB was 959
2. We stopped SMS_EXECUTIVE service
3. We incremented serial number in the file to 960
4. We started SMS_EXECUTIVE service
5. After the startup of the SMS_EXECUTIVE the serial number in the file and in the DB was the same again, 960
6. When we tried to add the BDP, we received the message about the outdated serial number
LVL 31

Expert Comment

ID: 39985300
what about increasing it higher? 963 e.g.?
NFR key for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365

Veeam is happy to provide a free NFR license (for 1 year, up to 10 users). This license allows for the non‑production use of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 in your home lab without any feature limitations.


Author Comment

ID: 39985361
We tried to do that. We increased by 2, but after starting SMS_EXECUTIVE, ID in both locations (file and DB) were the same again.

Author Comment

ID: 39985371
Just to be complete:

We discovered that in the database on the parent site, we have also a delta serial number for the child site. In the table SiteControl we see a record with
SiteCode = <childsitecode>
TypeFlag = 2
SerialNumber = 62
BinaryData = <binarystring>

Maybe it could help to troubleshoot.
LVL 31

Expert Comment

ID: 40049680
You may have to execute a site reset.

Accepted Solution

glavinfocz earned 0 total points
ID: 40058177
We waited until next day and it seems that SCCM corrected itself.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 40069553
We waited until next day and it seems that SCCM corrected itself.

Featured Post

Free eBook: Backup on AWS

Everything you need to know about backup and disaster recovery with AWS, for FREE!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Group policy not applying 5 103
OWA and AppPool problem 20 144
ADMT Intra Forest migration questions 7 247
System Center Configuration Manager 1702 - feature and licensing 5 68
Back in July, I blogged about how Microsoft's new server pricing model, combined with the end of the Small Business Server package, would result in significant cost increases for many small businesses (see SBS End of Life: Microsoft Punishes Small B…
Introduction: Sometimes when I receive a call from my users to solve their problems it is very difficult for me to found their computer IP address. Even finding their computer Host to provide remote support can be a problem.  So I resorted to Goo…
I've attached the XLSM Excel spreadsheet I used in the video and also text files containing the macros used below.…

740 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question