connect to sybase then query
Posted on 2014-04-08
I am a SQL Server DBA that has never used Sybase. We have a Sybase server (administrated by a vendor) that I need to run some SELECT queries on. I know SQL Server well. I just need some help figuring out how to connect and query a Sybase db. First, I tried to connect. Here's the error I got: "Could not connect to the database; Login mode 'Integrated' not permitted by login_mode setting. You must give a username. I tried Supply userID and password and the Integrated Login". Neither worked, as predicted. It seems to me that I need to get username/password credentials from the vendor.
These are the steps I implemented:
01. i clicked SQL Anywhere 11
02. once clicked, the db server says Running
03. then i clicked Connect to a database
04. i clicked Server name -> Find
05. Sybase looked for servers
06. Sybase showed three servers, one of which is my target
07. i don't know the db name but there's a field called Datbase name and Database files
08. i didn't have either dbname or dbfiles so i just clicked OK
Do I need credentials from the vendor/SQL Admin? All I got was a Windows account from our internal Systems Administrator to get me on the box. After I get authenticated how do I view a list of dbs on the server? Then how would I run a SELECT statement?
Hopefully, I provided enough info. I have about 10-minutes of Sybase experience.