Outlook upgrade from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010
Posted on 2014-04-12
I have Outlook 2003 connected to SBS2003/Exchange 2003 and I am installing SBS2011.
The users will get MS Office 2010 as well. But workstations PCs will remain the same.
Basically I need to move mailboxes from Exch 2003 to Exch 2010.
So I was going to do the following:
(1) Created PST from Outlook 2003 from each user workstation and save it in the C drive.
(2) Detach workstation PCs from SBS2003 Domain.
(3) Attach workstation PCs to SBS2011 Domain.
(4) Install MS Office 2010 on each computer.
(5) Create new profile in Outlook 2010 (connected to SBS2011).
(6) Import PST into Outlook 2010.
The mailbox sizes vary from 3GB to 8 GB.
I wonder if there is more efficient way of doing this (w/o purchasing any 3rd party software)?
Since SBS2011 is a VM in VMware, I thought about copying all these PSTs (from workstation PCs) into Windows 7 Virtual machine (already joined to SBS2011 network) and log in to each user account, create Outlook 2010 profile and import PST. In this way, at least, the data does not have to travel over the Ethernet cable because they are all VMs in one VMware server box.