Solved

Cannot connect outlook client

Posted on 2014-04-19
10
142 Views
Last Modified: 2014-12-04
Outlook client cannot connect to exchange 2013 mailbox.  From Exchange server can telnet to port 25; cannot telnet from any other node on the network.
0
Comment
Question by:SSECit
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
10 Comments
 

Expert Comment

by:fabiod89
ID: 40010836
Did you ensure that the outlook environment is connected to the same domain as the exchange?
0
 

Author Comment

by:SSECit
ID: 40010838
yes, the machines are physically on our network.
0
 
LVL 25

Expert Comment

by:Mohammed Khawaja
ID: 40010911
Outlook uses RPC and not SMTP if you want to use Exchange client.   If you are trying to connect over the Internet then try testing your Exchange by going to www.testexchangeconnectivity.com.  if you are teying to connect over LAN/WAN then try configuring Exchange settings by entering your fully qualified Exchange server name (ie exchangeserver.domain.local).  Also ensure to try a different computer to ensure there is nothing wrong with the PC.  Have you tried connecting via web browser to your Exchange web access?
0
Edgartown IT Case Study

Learn about Edgartown's quest to ensure the safety and security of the entire town's employee and citizen data. Read the case study!

 
LVL 12

Expert Comment

by:Vaseem Mohammed
ID: 40010998
Both Exchange 2013 roles are installed on same server?
If Exchange Roles (CAS, MBX) are separate, how many servers do you have?
Have you configured SSL on CAS servers?
0
 

Author Comment

by:SSECit
ID: 40011467
I can connect via webmail, but cannot connect via LAN on my network.  I have connected using the FQDN and I still won't connect.  But any webmail or mobile service will connect.  but I cannot send or receive emails through the mobile/web clients. it just goes to draft.  We were having connectivity issues before so we changed our network configuration. Now we are in a private 172.x.x.x address going to a sonicwall hosting DHCP.  the addresses are translated in the firewall to a 24.x.x.x public to the outside world.  we have set up SSL but on the web/mobile side.
0
 

Author Comment

by:SSECit
ID: 40011468
I have 6 servers playing various roles
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:VirastaR
ID: 40011509
Hi,

I have a couple of questions for you.

Was this working with previous version of Exchange 2007/2010?

Was this happening only after you migrated your mailboxes from previous exchange version to Exchange 2013?


Did you get a chance to check this?
Outlook 2013 profile might not update after mailbox is moved to Exchange 2013

if that doesn't help post back with answer for further assistance.

Thanks :)
0
 

Author Comment

by:SSECit
ID: 40011520
The issue began sometime last week we were getting intermittent email.  We had an issue with DNS so we moved all our public IPS to an internet host and are now using NAT on our firewall.  Our internal DNS only has the private addresses.  We can get to the internet and from the internet we can ping the mail server.  The immediate problem is from inside our network our existing outlook clients cannot send email internally or externally.  When they open outlook they go directly offline.  I created a new outlook client. I was able to resolve the name but when it tried to connect the message was that the message store was offline.
0
 
LVL 9

Expert Comment

by:VirastaR
ID: 40011527
Hi,

Try running  EXBPA from the Exchange box

Microsoft Exchange Best Practices Analyzer v2.8

and see whether it unveils anything from exchange side.

If not,

Try running a Network trace such as Netmon or Wireshark and reproduce the problem and post if needed help with analysis.

Hope that helps :)
0
 
LVL 63

Accepted Solution

by:
Simon Butler (Sembee) earned 500 total points
ID: 40012226
If OWA works, then HTTPS is working fine.
Outlook also uses HTTP/HTTPS to connect to Exchange 2013, RPC over TCP/IP isn't used any longer.

If you have changed your host names around, did you also update/setup a split DNS system and configure Exchange to use the correct internal host names? It sounds to me like Autodiscover is working, but then you have a DNS issue and the clients are then unable to connect.

Go through my guide here: http://semb.ee/hostnames2013 to ensure that Exchange is configured correctly.

Simon.
0

Featured Post

Does Powershell have you tied up in knots?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article describes how to import an Outlook PST file to Office 365 using a third party product to avoid Microsoft's Azure command line tool, saving you time.
Check out this step-by-step guide for using the newly updated Experts Exchange mobile app—released on May 30.
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…
This video shows how to remove a single email address from the Outlook 2010 Auto Suggestion memory. NOTE: For Outlook 2016 and 2013 perform the exact same steps. Open a new email: Click the New email button in Outlook. Start typing the address: …

717 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question