Mobile Device Partnerships disappear after migrating Exchange 2007 to 2013

In a test environment,  I migrated a SBS 2008 (Exchange 2007 SP3 RU 11) server to Exchange 2013 SP1.  In the test environment, the Legacy co-existence between Exchange 2007 and 2013 was not setup.  After fully decommissioning the SBS 2008 server, I noticed that none of the mobile devices moved over to Exchange 2013.

Since then, I have added Exchange 2013 to the live environment.  The Legacy coexistence has not been setup.  All mail through the firewall is still flowing through the SBS 2008 server.  Autodiscover, ActiveSync, Outlook Anywhere, OWA are all working fine through the SBS server.  IPV6 is not disabled on the SBS server.

I attempted setting up the legacy namespace on the SBS server.  When the mail flow was switched over to Exchange 2013 on the firewall, ActiveSync stopped working on all mailboxes on the SBS server.  We had a small maintenance window, so we had to revert back to the SBS server.  Next time, I will try a Null URL for the External ActiveSync on the SBS server.

Since then, I have setup a test user on the SBS server.  I have added a mobile phone to the account.  The mail worked fine on the phone.  I migrated the test user to Exchange 2013.  The mail on the phone stopped working.  The mobile device partnership for the test user is blank in ECP.  

Do you think there is a problem with the SBS server?  If so, how do I fix it?  I can't attempt to migrate the mailboxes until I resolve this;  setting up all the mobile devices again is not an option.

I also cannot setup a mobile device on the Exchange 2013.  Will this resolve itself when the Legacy namespace is setup and the mail flows through the Exchange 2013?  When I run the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer against a mailbox on the Exchange 2013, it fails with a HTTP 451 error.
botisysAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
botisysConnect With a Mentor Author Commented:
The problem in the lab did not occur in the live environment.  I'm guessing the problem was caused because the mobile devices were not available to the lab environment.  The problem resolved itself.
0
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
"Next time, I will try a Null URL for the External ActiveSync on the SBS server."

This was probably your problem.
For full legacy support, you need to have a blank external URL on the old server, the internal URL needs to resolve to the server correctly. Otherwise ActiveSync gets confused.
You will need to have a legacy URL for OWA, EWS etc.

Simon.
0
 
botisysAuthor Commented:
I still need to resolve why the mobile device partnerships are not migrating from 2007 to 2013.
0
 
xsawkinsCommented:
Check the AD User permissions.  Within ADUC select View -> Advanced Features.  Then go to the properties of a user and select the security tab -> Advanced button and ensure there is a button that says "Disable inheritance".  If the button (lower left) says "Enable inheritance" that is your problem and click it.  Inheritance needs to be enabled for the new exchange server to have permissions to the user object for ActiveSync to work.  

May or may not be the problem, but often I have found this to be a problem with migrating ActiveSync.
0
 
botisysAuthor Commented:
The problem resolved itself in the live environment.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.