DELL 2970 RAID 5
Posted on 2014-04-23
I have a Dell Power Edge 2970 server with 6 x 600GB drives (total approx 3Tb) in a RAID 5 configuration. One of the drive in the RAID is reporting as failure (with an amber light flashing). The base OS of this server is XenServer, with several VM running of it.
I have bought a new drive to replace the failed one, so my question is:
(1) How do I find out if my Dell 2970 server is hot swappable and if I can literally pull out the failed drive whilst the server is on and running and replace it with the new drive?
(2) If it is hot swappable, will it rebuild the new drive automatically from the other 5 good drives or will I need to do anything else?
(3) If is NOT hot swappable and need to be shutdown to replace the drive, what will I need to do to get the new drive rebuilt and how?
(4) Based on the size and number of drives, roughly how long will it take for the new drive to be rebuilt?
(5) I'm assuming that rebuilding of the new drive will not affect the data and base OS already stored on the other 5 drives or will it?
Many thanks in advance.